Monday, July 2, 2012


July 1, 2012 - Day 1 

Today my son you left on the adventure of your life - 3 weeks in Indonesia. My one request, other than you not drink the swamp water, or take up permanent residence, is that you keep a journal so that I may better relive your adventure with you. There is simply no way that you will remember everything and I, being the mother, will want to know every detail, no matter how minuscule - it's what mothers do. So, I thought it only fair that I do the same.  Not that my journal will in any way be as exciting to read, or as chock full of adventure the way yours will. No bug infested swamp to traverse, or bird-eating spiders to annihilate here at home, unless you count the swampland of laundry I encounter daily, or that little critter Winnie that is in constant need of attention. My journal will be more about my thoughts, feelings, hopes, prayers and dreams for you while you are away.

I think I am a peace with all of this, that is until I have a moment when for no reason, I tear up and realize you will be non-communicative for 21 days! Weird. I know that God cares for you son, and loves you even more that I do, and it is because of this that I am at peace.

Bike rides, and camping trips, football injuries, and first solo drives, don't seem quite as daunting now as they once did. Somehow, 3/4 of the way around the globe is a little more awe inspiring. I guess I began to let go of you the moment you were born, realizing that you were never really mine at all. Just entrusted to me, in God's infinite wisdom, to raise, nurture and guide into adulthood, so that He can use you for His purpose. What an amazing thing in and of itself, that He would deem me worthy of such a task. Oh, that I am found faithful....as He has been faithful to me.  I prayed when you were little, that you would grow into a man who loved Jesus with his whole heart, and would desire to live a life pleasing to Him. Wow, in every way, you have modeled this in your life. God has indeed been faithful to me. Now it is up to you son to take up the torch and be ever faithful to the one who created you. I know you are up to the task, if you but  keep your eyes ever on the Jesus.

As you venture forth on this journey, know that I will be faithful to pray for you, and that only He loves you more then your mum

This is day 1 - I hope I can hold it together.
Godspeed
I love you
Mum
Final Farewell
The Indo Team getting final instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment